Avoid a Residential House Fire This Christmas

christmasfire

During the holiday season residential house fires are at their peak in both frequency and deadliness. We tend to do a lot of cooking and literally drag in a bunch of kindling and have it strewn festively around our homes alongside hot strings of lights and open flames.  With all the mirth and merriment happening we can lose focus on safety, a foresight that could lead to disaster.

 

  • In the Kitchen

The kitchen is where most house fires start. With all of the hullabaloo of the holidays it is easy to get distracted. Make sure you keep your cooking area free of debris like printed recipes and dishcloths. Don’t leave unattended pots and pans on a burning stove and keep a fire extinguisher handy in case of emergency.

If you’re planning to deep-fry your holiday turkey, do it outside, on a flat, level surface at least 10 feet from the house.

 

  • Outdoor Lights

If you’re the Clark Griswold type when it comes to exterior illumination you should take care to check a few things before flipping the on switch. Make sure you only use lighted strands that are meant for outdoor use. Double check old strands to make sure there are no frayed or exposed wires and busted bulbs. Don’t plug too many strands together and don’t stuff to many strands into one outlet.

 

  • A Roaring Fire

Candles are beautiful during the darkest time of the year but make sure to maintain about a foot of space between the candle and anything that can burn. Set candles on sturdy bases or cover with hurricane globes. Never leave flames unattended. Before bed, walk through each room to make sure candles are blown out. For a safer way to get the romantic effect of candles use LED candle lights.

During these cold months there is nothing better than curling up in front of a roaring fire. Don’t light your fire place without having it cleaned first. Screen the fireplace to prevent embers from igniting your carpet or drapes. Only use seasoned wood.

 

  • Oh Christmas Tree

A Christmas tree fire can destroy a room in less than a minute. If you are going to use a real tree make sure it is fresh. Do not buy it too early or you risk drying it out. Make sure to keep your tree away from heat sources like fireplaces and space heaters. Turn off the lights on your tree during the day and before you go to bed to make sure they don’t heat up too much. LED lights are less likely to heat up.

 

Even if you take all of these precautions it is still possible for a fire to rip through your home. If the worst happens call Branch Services to bring your house back to its original glory.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *